Version Control Software How it works
April 03, 2016
Author: Andrew Storm
A common workplace document management issue is managing many versions of the same document.
The version control problem can be significant resulting in issues including:
- Losing work done on a version
- Confusion as to what is the latest version of a document
- Unknown if someone else is currently editing a document
- Multiple versions of a document saved with incorrect file names
All of these issues create time delays. Staff need to confidently access the correct version of documents – instantly.
Ferret Software Ltd. has resolved the version control issue as well as many other document management issues within Ferret Document Management System.
Ferret Version Control Process
- When opening a document (Word or Excel) you are prompted to Check it Out or Read Only.
- If Checked Out you can edit it, and other staff can see it has been checked out and cannot edit it.
- Once finished editing you Check it back In. All prior versions are saved and there is a detailed log of document changes, who edited it, who opened it and when.
Benefits of Version Control
- Improved workplace collaboration - staff can work freely as only one person can edit a document at a time
- Storing and opening the latest or past document version with certainty
- Improved understanding of the documents history i.e. past history, who edited it/ when
- Document backup/ security
If you are interested in improving the way you manage documents and emails including document version control then please contact the team at Ferret Software Ltd. for a no obligation demonstration.
Make enquiry ▸